Sunday, June 6, 2010


All the people at the Refuge with us have bandaged feet and big blisters except for Randy who has been bouncing up and down the mountain trail like a baby goat. I have filled his pack with some of my stuff but it has not helped. I am going to start picking up rocks to add. There are a lot of people walking the Camino, most of them just want to do it for the adventure. It is a great way to experience the country and it´s culture. Most of the people are French or Spanish with the Germans coming up strong. Then there are people from all over Europe, Finland, Sweden, South Am. Australia, well you get the idea. There are a surprising number of Americans. Last night we stayed in a refuge where about one third of the people spoke English. Usually only a few have any English but I like the Spanish people. They don´t laugh at my bad accent and try to understand what I am saying. We are out of the steep mountains for now and into the steep hills. This is the wine growing region. The different crops and the vineyards and olive orchards make a beautiful mosaic below the stone villages built on the top of the hills above them. These are very small villages usually, built around a church at the very top. The streets are unbelievably steep. So we have been walking along getting in touch with our inner selves so here are my insights so far. Just because they say you can drink the water in the pilgrim fountains doesn´t mean that I can. Randy´s guide book is very inaccurate concerning mileage and topography and pretty much everything else. You can use the public toilets in Germany but you don´t want to try it in Spain. The Spanish people are wonderful and caring hosts who try very hard to make your stay pleasant. One week down and I think it may be getting easier. I will try for more profound insights on this second week.

No comments:

Post a Comment