Saturday, July 3, 2010

Compestela de Santiago, Spain

Patsy was still sleeping, the last I checked at 10 am. I left at about 7 am and the old city of Santiago was still sleeping also. I had to walk out of the old city for a coffee. I think the regular price of a coffee in a bar is way less for the locals than for tourists. I got a grande and it was about 60 cents and I am used to paying more than a euro.

I got in early through the holy gate to the cathedral before the line was long. (Actually, I was able to just walk in at about 8 am to check out that part of the church). I hugged Saint James. The holy gate is only open during years when the day of Saint James (25 July) is on a Sunday. I think the next year is 2021. There is the expectation that this year will see record numbers of Pilgrims. The rush is expected in July and August, with the greatest crowd during the fiesta of Saint James.

We will take the bus to Finnister tomorrow morning and stay the night there to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment